- Do the Wash and Go Method
The wash and go method involves washing your hair and letting it air dry without needing to manipulate it into styles. Achieving super moisturized and hydrated curls which will last for 3 days or more begins with using the wash and go method. The wash and go method get water into your hair as much as possible and increases both your hydration and moisture levels.
What you need to do a wash and go method on natural hair are:
Sulfate-free shampoo, Conditioner, Leave-in conditioner, Wide-tooth comb, Shower cap, Natural hair oil, Curling custard or styling gel, Satin/silk scarf
How to do a wash and go method for natural hair
- Drench your hair completely in water, so your curl pattern begins to show.
- Apply a good portion of shampoo to your scalp. Massage your scalp with your fingers and rinse thoroughly.
- Apply a generous amount of conditioner to your hair. Slick it down the length of your hair from roots to ends.
- Finger detangle during the process or use a wide-tooth comb to gently remove shed hair and knots.
- Cover up with a shower cap and allow the conditioner to sit in your hair for at least 10 minutes, then rinse out the conditioner thoroughly.
- Apply the leave-in conditioner and saturate your hair very well with it. This nurtures your hair and keeps it healthy.
- Massage your favorite natural hair oil throughout all your hair strands and gently wet your hair until it's dripping a little.
- Part your hair into smaller sections and apply a healthy amount of the curling custard or styling gel to your hair, working it down from root to tip and using your fingers to separate the curls.
- Shake your hair vigorously to separate the curls and add volume to your hair.
- Allow to air dry or dry overnight. Never use a hairdryer to dry your hair.
- Pull your hair into a puff and cover securely with a satin/silk scarf to preserve your curls overnight.
- Take off the scarf and spritz your hair with a leave-in conditioner the next day to refresh your curls.
- Then style as desired.
- Protect Your Natural Curls
Natural elements like harsh winds or the sun can damage your hair, causing it to become brittle, dry, and then break off. To keep your natural hair moisturized you will need to protect your natural curls from these elements. When going out on a hot, sunny day, wear a cap or spray your hair with a UV protection spray. On colder days, just wear a hat or hood to keep your hair from drying out. If you have to go swimming, apply a rich conditioning cream to your hair and wear a swim cap to prevent your hair from drying out in chlorinated water. When you travel by road, cover up your natural hair with a scarf to avoid dust getting into your hair and drying it out. For extra hydration and to keep your natural hair moisturized, apply a rich moisturizing conditioner during the coldest time of the year.
- The Baggy Method
The baggy method is a popular natural hair technique for refreshing your curls and locking in moisture to your hair. This method is a great way to replenish moisture in your hair overnight and to achieve softer, moisturized hair.
There are two ways to go about the baggy method in order to retain moisture, you can either apply the product to your ends only or apply the product all over your hair. However, when using this method, you need to ensure that you let your hair dry completely. This is because it is unhealthy to allow your hair to be constantly wet for an extended period of time. The baggy method is also guaranteed to promote hair growth.
What you need to do the baggy method are:
Your favorite moisturizer or conditioner, a plastic bag or plastic shower cap, headband
How to do the baggy method
- Spritz your hair with water so it is slightly damp or just start with freshly washed hair.
- Apply your moisturizer or conditioner over your hair thoroughly.
- Cover your hair with the plastic shower cap and secure it with a headband. Let it dry overnight. The water, moisturizer, and body heat will help to condition and moisturize your hair overnight.
- Get Over The Hand in Hair Syndrome
Don't be the natural hair queen with the "hand-in-hair syndrome". While it is oddly satisfying and soothing to always want to touch your hair. Don't do it. Keep your hands out of your hair.
Touching your natural curls all the time will make your hair dry out faster and strip your hair of all its moisture eventually. Get over the hand-in-hair syndrome and keep your natural hair moisturized.
We hope you find this useful.
If you need more help, kindly visit our member only salon situated at G11, Landmark Boulevard, Victoria Island, Lagos.