Hot oil treatment is a special procedure with heated oils for recovering hair after damages. Hot oil treatments soothe stiff locks back into silky smoothness by penetrating the hair shaft with hydrating, intense moisture which then protects the hair and makes it softer and more manageable.
Homemade hot oil treatments work wonders and are beyond easy to create.
If you’ve never heard of hot oil treatment for natural hair, read this list of benefits (by the way, it works for damaged hair of all types and structures
BENEFITS OF HOT OIL TREATMENT
- Prevents split ends (helps to go longer in between trimming appointments).
- Moisturizers your locks from scalp to ends (perfect for extremely brittle and dry curly hair).
- Adds shine (because healthy hair can’t look dull).
- Stimulates blood circulation to scalp (which is great for hair growth).
- Helps to get rid of dandruff (and solve various dry scalp problems)
TYPES OF OIL THAT CAN BE USED
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Jojoba oil
- Lavender oil
- Almond oil
- Argan oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Alvocado oil
- Tee tree oil
- Aloe vera oil
- Peppermint oil
After choosing oil preference we’ll need around 2-3 tablespoons, depending on the length and thickness of the hair. This treatment should be used over recently washed hair that is free of buildup and products, so it is recommended that one try this after a shower when the hair is almost dry but not out rightly dry.
- Mixing: In a large saucepan, bring a cup of fresh water to a boil. Place 2-3 tablespoons of your preferred oil in a small bowl or mug and then place it into the boiling water (as an option, you can use a microwave). This will quickly simmer the oil without dispersing it into the water itself. Allow the bowl or mug to sit for a few minutes. You’ll want the oil warm and not steaming hot to the touch.
When the oil is warm, carefully remove the bowl (without burning yourself) and then let the oil sit for a few moments to cool down.
- Application: Once it is at the right temperature, massage the warm oil into your hair. Start at the scalp and coat the hair from root to tip.
- Wrapping: When your hair is fully coated, wrap it in a towel or place a plastic cap over your hair for at least 30 minutes. Read a book or scroll through Instagram while you wait! For better results, leave overnight.
- Shampooing: After chosen period of time has passed, rinse the oil from your hair and rinse it thoroughly! You may need to wash it a time or two to fully remove the oils.
The hair should now feel softer, cleaner and a step toward healthier. You can do this as often as once or twice a week or treat yourself to it once a month, depending on the level of damage. There is just something so soothing about a hot oil treatment.
These treatments do wonders for your hair and can totally revamp your scalp and reverse damage. It gives something vital to hair length, retention, growth and overall hair health. So, if your hair is feeling way too dry and unmanageable, opt for a homemade DIY hot oil treatment and start taking back your hair health one drop at a time!
This is a DIY home treatment but if you need professional help for this, kindly visit our members only salon at G11, Landmark boulevard, water cooperation road. Victoria Island.