Wearing a wig cap is a personal choice for wig-wearers. Some people choose not to wear a wig cap underneath their wigs for different reasons such as; the extra layer causing heat to the scalp (especially during summer), a personal preference, tightness of the wig cap causing discomfort, or those with very short hair that don't feel a wig cap is necessary.
However, we recommend wearing a wig cap more often than not, as it brings a variety of benefits to wig-wearing, may add comfort, and acts as a barrier between your scalp and the wig, making it a hygienic option.
Wearing a wig cap is beneficial in holding your hair underneath in place when wearing a wig, whether the hair is short or long. It also prevents the hair from breaking when a wig rubs against the scalp. If you have long hair and need to hold your hair back, it is the wig cap that secures the wig or the hair in place and prevents slipping.
VARIOUS TYPES OF WIG CAPS
Wig caps can come in various fabrics:
- We advise ladies with partial or no hair loss to be wary of this material as cotton is a very good absorbent.
- A cotton wig cap can, therefore, draw the moisture out of your natural hair, causing it to become quite dry.
- It protects your hair from any damage and reduces frizz.
- They are stretchy all over.
- They conform to the head without being too tight
- Light Stretchy and Durable
If you react to any fabric naturally, you shouldn’t wear it on your head either.
When buying a wig cap, you should look out for ones that can offer you a little bit of ventilation as shown below:
BENEFIT OF WEARING A WIG CAP
- Wig caps are ideal for the scalp that is prone to irritation. For people with a sensitive scalp, putting on a wig cap before putting on your wig will offer you some comfort and protection. Wearing a wig without a wig cap might not be the ideal option if you have complete hair loss because it would better protect your head.
- Wig caps assist in keeping your wig in place as sweat may accumulate just beneath your wig over the day, which is to be expected if you wear your wigs for extended periods of time. Due to oil being present, your wig may slide or slip from its original position.
- Wig caps make wig-wearing more sanitary because they can be washed with your laundry and replaced every day to keep your head and wig fresh.
- Wig caps are effective in holding all of your hair in place under your wig. This is fantastic since you won’t have to worry about flyaway hair or loose strands.
- If you’re experiencing hair loss, you might need a wig cap to keep your wigs in place. A soft wig cap will give an additional layer to your head, preventing chafing from the wig’s fabric and providing comfort.
- Even with a full head of hair, wigs can sometimes cause itching. Hence, a wig cap that acts as a layer of comfort below your wig is recommended.
- Wig caps, of course, serve as protection for your natural hair. It may be difficult to get all of your hair under your wig. This is especially true for people with thick and frizzy hair, but a wig cap guarantees that everything is in place.
- Your natural hair may create bumps beneath your wig, but a wig cap can assist in smoothing them down.
To this extent, we hope we have been able to convince you that it is more beneficial and hygienic to wear a wig cap before wearing your wig.
Thank you for reading.
Do have an amazing, more comfortable wig wearing week ahead.
Kindly follow us on Instagram for more tips!!
For easy maintenance of all types of hair, kindly click to book an appointment with one of our amazing stylists
Or better still, visit our salon at shop G11, Landmark Boulevard, Water Corporation Drive. Lagos, for a consultation so we can choose the right treatment for your hair.